This morning I met my friends, Patty and Cher'e, at 6:00 a.m. to go on a Sunday morning hike. They are the morning movers -- I only show up at that time in order to hang with them.
We parked on Olive Springs Blvd -- up Old San Jose road -- and left the car. We crossed the stream three times and then we hiked 3 miles uphill -- to the Sand Point lookout. We could see our hand in front of our face -- but that was it. All socked in with fog. I ate a turkey sandwich.
Then down, down, down we went -- to Patty's car which was waiting for us. A total of 3 hours and 21 minutes.
I love hiking with Patty and Cher'e and here are the top 13 reasons why:
1. They know where to go, where to turn and where to park.
2. There is always great conversation.
3. There are beautiful moments of silence in the redwoods.
4. We heard a tree "cry" together.
5. Cher'e kicks our ass and no one cares.
6. We share recipes and low point food ideas.
7. It is casual and comfortable.
8. They try not to bring up words like "mountain lions" and "bears" too often in front of me.
9. They know Santa Cruz history, people, places and topics.
10. They never say "we are almost there" when we aren't.
11. They like deep conversation.
12. They are amazing women.
13. As soon as we are done hiking -- they are ready to plan the next trip.